Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cael's 5th birthday


On May 25th, Cael turned 5. FIVE (!) When did my firstborn, who was once a tiny, wee newborn, that I held in my arms with such wonder and joy, turn 5 years old? I can't believe how big he's grown, and how fast it has flown by. I remember holding him in my arms and everyone telling me, "Enjoy it. They grow up so fast. In the blink of an eye!" And wow, is that true or what? I told Gus that we are not allowed to blink anymore!!

For Cael's birthday, we kept it small and simple. A few of his friends from church came over with their parents for dinner. We had Argentinian sausages, which are SO good here. And then, after dinner, we all headed outside.



This below picture, by the way, is of me and my good friend Corina. She emigrated from Romania over 10 years ago and her family is very special to us. Corina learned Spanish when she came, and has been a really big help to me. She often can tell me "why"; I always want to know the Why's of Spanish grammar and sometimes native Spanish speakers don't know why they say what they say. I'm totally guilty of that in English too. I've been so thankful for her assistance. Plus she's very sweet and has become such a dear friend. Her son is only a few months younger than Cael and they have lots of fun playing with each other.



We all had fun being outside in the beautiful sunshine! And the kids enjoyed playing on the animals close by our house. I am so thankful the weather was perfect-a few hours beforehand, it rained. But then thankfully the sun came out and it was warm enough to be outside. The kids all enjoyed running and squealing to their hearts delight!




After a lovely stroll next to the river and past the animals, we ended up at a nearby park. The kids enjoyed playing and the adults talking. It was nice for the kids to get their energy out in the park.


Then it was time for cake!! Cael LOVES Star Wars legos. Love probably isn't a strong enough word right now for how much he enjoys playing with them. Especially the little tiny ones that he can only play with when Coen is napping. So Gus and I found a set we thought he would like, assembled it at night when Cael was in bed, and surprised him by topping his cake with it. He loved it so much and all his friends, who apparently like Star Wars legso as much as he does, were all ooing and aahing over the cake. So fun!!



Cael had lots of fun blowing out the candles, while we sung Happy Birthday two times, in both languages!



And then of course, last but certainly not least, present time!!





And that was how we celebrated Cael's 5th birthday!! Can't believe that next year I will have a 3 year old and a 6 year old. Ok, no more blinking for sure!!

2 comments:

  1. starwars legos + playmobil + something in a ZARA bag? Um . . . best birthday ever - for sure!

    ReplyDelete