Last night we went to the seminary banquet. Every year, the Master's seminary puts on a banquet for their students with wives in tow to attend. It was at the Ronald Reagan library, which is quite fun to tour. By the way, they currently have this special section where 86 of Nancy's dresses are on display. She has fabulous style, so it was quite fun to see!
But I digress... Gus & I were mingling afterwards. This couple came up and Gus told them, in a foreign language, that I was his wife.
Now Gus's 1st language is spanish, since he grew up in Argentina. I don't know spanish, except for a few phrases (the important ones, like "I'm hungry", "I'm hot", "Where's the bathroom"-you catch my drift.) He has taught me to say "Mucho gusto" when he introduces me to his spanish speaking friends. It means nice to meet you but in a very formal, polite manner. So I'm always whipping out my hand and telling people "mucho gusto" whenever he introduces me to spanish speaking people (which seems to happen often at these types of functions)
So back to last night: Gus is speaking to this very nice couple, first in a foreign language, then in English, telling them that I am his wife. They shake my hand. So what do I say? To someone who has been talking with my husband in a foreign language? But of course..."Mucho gusto." I'm quite pleased with myself for being so courteous, of course. Except Gus goes red. And they look confused. And then he laughs it off and changes the subject. They laugh and move on. Gus at that point is doubled over laughing, shaking with the hilariousness of it all. While I'm so confused. What happened? Didn't I say the right thing? I mentally rehears the phrase in my mind to make sure I didn't mispronounce it. Nope, I said it right. It was at that point that Gus told me that couple was Italian and he was talking to them in Italian. And I, genius, spoke to them in Spanish. Nice going. How am I supposed to know that my multi-language husband practices his Italian every week with this man? And that he was meeting his wife for the 1st time, also practicing his Italian with her. I told him next time he's speaking a foreign language other than Spanish, to somehow give me a clue. Like, "Melissa, meet my friends from Italy" or "Melissa, I'm practicing my Italian with these new friends. Since I obviously cannot tell the difference between other foreign languages and spanish...
That's funny, but you shouldn't feel too bad. I've heard that Italian and Spanish are pretty similar languages. Was the dress display so great that I should get John to take me to see them?
ReplyDeleteyeah they are similar and if i was listening closely i could have heard that they are different. but wasn't paying attention!!
ReplyDeletewe love the reagan library. air force one is there too and it's really really cool! the dresses are pretty awesome too...it's a great date place ;)
OH-MY-GOSH. I am laughing so hard right now. That is hysterical, Melissa. What made it better is that I know you both so well, I can imagine it as though I were standing right there. I can totally picture your facial expressions through the whole fiasco. That made my day!!!
ReplyDeleteHow many languages does Gus know? Please tell me he's fluent in either French or German...
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have taken a picture of the shocked look on your face when Gus started laughing, it would have been priceless! But I am glad you were feeling well enough to go.
ReplyDeletegus is fluent in neither french nor german. tho he does understand french somewhat. but only a few phrases in german. sorry laura!
ReplyDeleteI always chose the wrong languages... quelle tristesse!
ReplyDelete