Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day 1 with Natalie

Today we begin our interview with Natalie, who is currently serving as a Grace church missionary in Russia with her husband and two boys. She will tell us a little bit about her background and family. For more on her and her wonderful family, you can also check out her blog here...

MP: Tell us about where you were born and then where you grew up.
Natalie: I was born in Cordoba, Argentina. In December of 1978 we moved to California for a better way of life due to the failing economy in Argentina. Initially we moved into a small apartment three blocks from Grace Community Church and have been attending ever since. After a year, my parents bought a home in Granada Hills and Granada Hills is basically where I grew up.

MP: When did you become a Christian?
Natalie: The Lord saved me on June 29, 1986. I know that for a lot of us we may not necessarily have a “date of salvation” but that is the day that I repented from my sins, understood what Christ did on the cross for me, and refused to live the life of lies that I had been living. The Lord used the youth ministry at Grace and a Godly discipleship leader to help me see that.

MP: Where/when/how did you meet your husband? How did you get engaged?
Natalie: Jon and I met for the first time in August of 1999 at a “Bridge” (the former singles ministry of Steve Camp at Grace) bible study that he was co-leading with Andy Snider. He opened the door and I knew that he was the man I was going to marry. That whole summer I had specifically been praying that the next man in my life would become my husband and that that it would happen quickly. Of course it took Jon a little time to figure things out but our first date was on November 5, 1999 which happened to be a missions banquet at Grace Church. About 3 weeks later he went on an investigative missions trip with Kevin Edwards, and John Snyder (missionary we currently serve with) to check out future ministry opportunities in Russia. They actually came here to Samara and that is where the vision for what is happening here began. When he returned from that trip he asked me what I thought about missions and specifically what I thought about Russia. Since the Lord saved me in Jr. High, I had always wanted to marry a pastor or missionary so I told him “GREAT”. So on New Years Eve he proposed to me in downtown Sioux City, Iowa as the clock struck midnight with fireworks in the back drop. I was totally surprised but so grateful because the Lord answered my prayers specifically! We were then married on July 1, 2000.

MP: How many children do you have? What has been the biggest blessing in motherhood? What are some things the Lord has taught you through your children?
Natalie: We have 2 boys. Josiah is 4 yrs 9 months and Nathan is 10 months. There have been
so many blessings with motherhood but for me the biggest blessing is being loved in return unconditionally by my two boys. No matter how much I fail them or lose my patience they love me continually and without any expectations on their behalf. The Lord has taught me to become more and more patient (something I struggle with a lot), to make sure that my walk with the Lord is a priority, to love my husband in front of my children, to pray for them daily, and the Lord has also taught me how selfish I am!




Thank you Natalie for those wonderful answers! Tomorrow we will hear more about her and her family's journey into Russia.

1 comment:

  1. It's fun to hear a missionary's wife's stories. I'm sure it's hard to be a mom in a country so far from one's own.

    ReplyDelete