Sunday, June 22, 2008

got Sand?

Today Cael and I went to the beach. It was the PERFECT day. Very hot (as in 105-YIKES!!!) here in the valley but as soon as we drove over the hill, much cooler. But still warm enough to want to go in the water. In contrast, a wonderfully cool and refreshing ocean. The perfect combination!

Cael has been to the beach a few times before, but this time was different. We packed a lunch and got in our swimsuits. Something I've not done for years and years-worn my swimsuit at the beach (I never go in!) But today we did. At first Cael was a little timid about the rushing waves but I sat on the ground far enough back to get teeny waves every 5 minutes or so. Eventually he got the courage to climb out of my lap and onto the ground. When a wave would come, he loved it and would sit there while it washed all over him. One time the wave was strong enough to knock him over but that didn't deter him from sitting right back down for another wave. I'm proud that my son is a beach bum! Someday I hope he loves the beach and ocean as much as I do!

Well when we got home both of us were just covered in sand. There was a huge pile on the kitchen floor, large enough that I almost took a picture of all that sand! Our swimsuits were completely coated in sand and immediately went straight to the washing machine. More sand in the shower. And all over us. In our hair. Ears. Nostrils. Everywhere. We took the longest shower and I can still feel the grittyness and even see it on Cael's scalp. Maybe in a few days after a few more showers it will all wash off. Truly I've never taken home so much sand!

A small price to pay for one of the best trips to the beach I've had in a long time! Can't wait to go back!

1 comment: