That you can give Tylenol and Ibuprofen simultaneously? I learned this when I called my pediatrician this morning, since Cael's fever was 103 for the 2nd time in the past 24 hours. He's never had a fever this high before so I just wanted to check on what to do. The nurse said to combine both of them. I didn't know that but maybe some of you moms out there already knew that...
Drug info to follow (chuckle):
ReplyDeleteThey have totally different mechanisms of action which makes them a great pairing for a lot of situations.
Tylenol/acetaminophen is an antipyretic analgesic (for fever and pain) whereas advil/ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic so they work in different areas - giving double the kick without "overdosing". Tylenol is also "harder" on the liver - whereas ibuprofen is "harder" on the stomach.
Although I wasn't aware they gave ibuprofen to little kids. (Not a peds nurse...)
Hope he's feeling better...
thanks nurse kendall for all that info!! and to answer your question about giving ibuprofen to kids, they generally ask you to wait until they're 6 months old. that's what my pediatrician told me when cael was little. he is doing so much better now with both medicines, i'm happy to report :)
ReplyDeleteEeyore told me Winnie will be up and running for Halloween. Looking fwd to a visit from Pooh Bear. TTFN!
ReplyDeletesorry Cael is sick!
ReplyDelete