Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Some good news

These past few days I've received some good news in my pregnancy...

First and foremost, I passed my glucose test! Yaaay!! The first time! My mom had gestational diabetes with my sister so I was extra nervous I would have it this pregnancy. She didn't have any of the usual symptoms, either, something else I was nervous about. But I don't and I cannot tell you what a relief that phone call was!! I thanked the nurse over the phone a few times and I'm sure she thought I was a little nutty :)

My other good news is regarding my upcoming c-section. I've been veryveryvery nervous about this since having one when Cael was born. For the first year after Cael's c-section, I couldn't even think about what happened without breaking into a cold sweat. Literally. It was that traumatizing for me. So ever since I conceived, I've really been dreading it, re-playing it in my mind, and just not looking forward to it at all. Especially getting the spinal, laying there being cut open, and that really long recovery afterwards. Plus I've been feeling so great especially lately with none of the uncomfortableness I had with Cael that it hasn't given me that extra incentive to get this baby outta here! Well on Sunday I met a lady who just 2 1/2 weeks earlier had had her 4th c-section. Her 4th!! And she was at church with all of them. She told me that the spinal, which I've always thought was this super uber long needle that goes into your spine, is actually just a shot with a teeny tiny needle. Which numbs you for a certain period. That's it. No long needle. NO.LONG.NEEDLE. I cannot tell you how much this has lifted my mind and ease about getting one. HUGELY!! I no longer dread it. Plus standing and talking to this women was such a relief too. She said the recovery has not been awful for her at all. And Gus reminded me of how quickly I recovered with Cael. So the Lord has given me such a peace now about this upcoming surgery in just 3 weeks from this Friday, which I'm so thankful about. I told my Dr. that I wasn't looking forward to it, and he said that that was natural but to remember I'll be getting a baby out of it. Oh yeah. That's right. A baby! I joked with him that he'd done this a few thousand times before, since he's delivered almost 14, 000 babies, and he thought for a moment and said, yep, actually I have. So I'm in pretty competent hands!!

7 comments:

  1. That IS good news. I feel the exact same way about an epidural needle - the thought of the doctor slipping on accident terrifies me, and I've seen the size of the needle - that one's huge! But I'm glad for you that the spinal needle isn't so big. Three weeks from Friday! Wow! I wonder if Owen will already be here or if he'll be late. Either way, we're both going to have two kids soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, 14,000 babies. isn't he the dr that delievered me? that's really awesome about the lady from your church, i'm glad she was able to help give you some peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll remember to pray for you on Feb 19th! Glad you have more peace now. I didn't have to have a C-section with Ella (although it came really close), so I don't know about that. I think I'd be nervous too. I had an epidural after 8 hours of labor with Ella... the needle doesn't bother me a bit, maybe because I'm so use to blood tests! ;-) By the time I agreed to the epidural I was shaking so badly that the doctors were highly recommending it. I'm sure that made a difference too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa...I'm so glad that you've been able to continue to work toward peace as you trust the LORD for the days ahead of you. I'm so thankful that He provided you with some wonderful encouragement from a fellow sister. How kind our God is! I'll continue to pray that your peace and trust extends through the days ahead of you, and that when the uncertainties threaten to fill your mind that instead your thoughts will be filled with truths of God, who He is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news about the glucose test! My c-section recoveries have gone well, too. I just had one 3 weeks ago and am feeling really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're in very good hands, and the hospital staff is great at GA. Enjoy these last few weeks with just one kid! It gets a bit crazier with two ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is great how God ordains things to bring us comfort to our fears. Even when our fears are very specific to our situation, God is a god of comfort and orchestrates events to remind us of how caring and comforting He is. :) I like that.

    ReplyDelete