Friday, October 21, 2011

Medieval Festival

León recently had a Medieval Festival. Our friends invited us to go with them and I brought my camera along!

Here we are as we set out. Sheila (whom I've featured a few times on this blog before) and her husband, Isma, have 2 young boys around Cael's age. Yet notice there are no kids in this picture...that's because Sheila's sister was SUPER kind and watched all 4 kids for the night. Wohoo! It was sooo fun!!

A booth on the street

Medieval festival sign. They partitioned off a few streets for the festival, which lasted almost a week. We went the night before the actual festival and it was pretty packed!

There were lots and lots of booths. This one had natural herbs and remedies.

We walked by this guy who was a pretty close imitation of Captain Jack Sparrow! (Cael would have absolutely died and gone to heaven!!)

More booths


It was SO fun! Love the banners hanging above the streets.

There were amazing sweets of every kind of pastry and dessert imaginable!

And a stage setup with medieval performers!


And then my camera battery died! Can you believe it? I was pretty upset because I didn't know the battery was so low. Bummer!! We walked by, right after this, a display of medieval artifacts. Equipment for cooking and animals and other really old yet super cool things. It was incredible because it was genuinely from the medieval time! I've seen reproductions before but as I was walking through the display, it hit me that I am in Europe and this stuff is the real deal. Incredible!!

Then we went out to dinner at this super cool restaurant. It used to be a printing house so there were type faces and letters from when it was in use. Very cool. The food was amazing, of course. I ordered steak and it was very, very soft. I could almost use a butter knife to cut it.

Outside, after I was done eating, I saw that the menu was in Spanish and in English...and that I had eaten beef/cow cheeks! I started laughing. Just the day before I was in the carniceria, butcher shop, and they had beef cheeks in their display. I had never seen them before and asked the butcher what they were. When he told me, I told Gus that I would never eat those. They looked kind of bloody and gross. Well never say never! I laughed at the irony! And, yes, I would actually eat them again. And, yes, I am very glad that I did not know beforehand what I was eating!

1 comment:

  1. Your so cute, thanks for you blog comments. And sorry about the misspelling of Olvera St, I just corrected it, my sweet hubby pointed that out to me. And boy those Octopus legs were really gross, the kids found them quite fascinating!

    ReplyDelete