After we loaded up on pulpo (!), we drove to O Cebreiro, a pueblo village nestled amongst beautiful Spanish countryside. Our first sight was this gorgeous view. Pics do not do it justice!!!

My boys!

Cael was very happy to run free! When did he get so tall?

More amazing countryside

Then we walked up to this house. It is called a Palloza. Pallozas are huts which pre-date Roman occupation. Let me just re-type that for you...they pre-date Roman occupation!!! Their roofs are made of stalks of rye to accomodate the harst winters! I was in total awe through my tour of this fascinating home.

These were hanging from the ceiling. They were used to dry and cure their meats-salchichon, chorizo, etc.

And this was their kitchen

Bedroom-notice the wee crib

The stove and dining room were around this open fire. They sat on the benches and ate their food when it was finished cooking.

Dish storage above the fireplace

Walking through a door I entered this large room, just off the main building. This was where the animals were stored. Inside the house! Because it was so cold in the wintertime, they had to take care of and protect their animals. Coen thought it was pretty cool!

What an impressive stack of wood

The boys enjoying the wide open space!

One more picture of the outside of the house. I had even more appreciation for it after being inside. Amazing to see how people lived several thousand years ago. WOW.

Coming out of the house, this is the delightful view of this village with cobblestone streets and stores.

There were several shops which were SO fun to look through. A few states in Spain have Celtic heritage, including this state. I had always thought that Celtic history and origin was limited to Ireland but not so! They had Celtic music playing and lots of Celtic merchandise. Being part Irish, I LOVED this!

Another store with Celtic merchandise

Then we had coffe sitting on these VERY old benches made of stone!

And off we drove through more Spanish countryside


Wait...

What? Is that...

Yep! Cows. Walking along the road...

Minding their own business! They completely ignored us as we slowly drove by. Incredible!

Beautiful lane

Love the scenic view from the road

We drove without stopping through this village. I loved how the buildings looked. We drove through several other villages and many of them resembled this one. I just love how Spanish pueblo villages look.

Set amongst beautiful surroundings

With narrow streets and cobblestone buildings

And flowers everywhere

And that was our day of Pulpo. What a day! I felt so blessed that I had experienced Spanish culture and countryside, all in one beautiful day. As I laid my head on the pillow that night, my heart was overflowing again with thankfulness to the Lord for bringing us here to this truly amazing country!
Ahora si Melissa!!! Eres una completa espaƱola!!!!
ReplyDelete