Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Little Moments

Just read this article on the Desiring God website. It is highly worth reading.

I'd like to think aloud here about a few things that this article discuses. There is nothing I am sharing that is an original thought; it is a direct reflection of my thoughts as I muse about this article.

Paul Tripp talks about our New Years Resolutions. And how so often we have these grand, huge goals and desires. To lose significant amounts of weight. Get out of debt. Stop those bad habits of smoking and drinking. Etc etc.

His point was that change is good. We should all strive for biblical change. But "biblical Christianity-which has the gospel of Jesus Christ at its heart-simply doesn't rest its hope in big, dramatic moments of change."

Isn't that what we always long for? Big, dramatic moments of change? I know I do! And then I get discouraged when it doesn't happen.

But his next point was so encouraging: "You and I live in little moments, and if God doesn't rule our little moments and doesn't work to recreate us in the middle of them, then there is no hope for us, because that is where you and I live."

"This is where I think 'Big Drama Christianity' gets us into trouble. It can cause us to devalue the significance of the little moments of life and the 'small-change' grace that meets us there. And because we devalue the little moments where we live, we don't tend to notice the sin that gets exposed there. We fail to seek the grace that is offered to us."

Go here to finish reading! And don't overlook the little moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment