Ok so I'm a leetle behind in my blogging! But back in November, we celebrated Thanksgiving! I've been told that people don't typically eat turkey here so we ordered a 20 pound turkey from Molina's, our butcher shop.
When I went to pick it up, Renee, our butcher, brought it out from the fridge and everyone in the store gasped and said "Madre mia!" (An expression of amazement that people use here) I was cracking up on the outside. And on the inside I was actually kind of shocked because it was a little bigger than I thought it would be!!
I was pretty nervous about whether or not it would fit into my oven. It's kind of on the smallish size and a 20 pound turkey all of a sudden was much bigger than it sounded when I ordered it! So right away, we tried to fit it into the oven. Gus had to pose with it because it was so big.
So we were able to put it into the oven...but we couldn't close the oven door. Yikes! Thankfully Gus was a good sport. Hehe! He took our biggest knife and started cutting. Blood, skin and turkey guts were flying all over our kitchen!! Just typing this out makes me laugh remembering what Gus went through to get the turkey to fit into the oven. He carved parts off both ends...
Here he is cutting off parts of the neck that were still attached. And thankfully once all extra parts were cut off, it fit into the oven and we were able to close the door! Although we did feel like we had a person in our oven. Heheee!!
Lesson learned...next year we will order a 10 pound turkey!!!






Everyone needs a turkey story and yours is great! I do not touch large naked birds, so my Mom usually does it when we've had Thanksgiving at our house :).
ReplyDeleteThat is hilarious! It makes our 6 pound turkey look like a dwarf!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat turkey is HUGE!!!! Hahaha!! Love these pictures!!
ReplyDelete