I love a hearty, main dish salad when the weather is hot. No heating up the oven nor standing over the stove. And somehow a large salad for lunch in the middle of the summer is just as satisfying as a big bowl of soup in the winter.
A few summers ago, a sweet friend made this salad for us. The dressing was incredible and the combination of peaches and chicken was so good; I had to get the recipe! I made this last week when peaches are in season and my kitchen was too hot to turn on the oven. I did make a few modifications to the recipe, which I will indicate below. Including not putting the chicken nor the peaches on skewers, but "grilling" them in my grill pan on the stove.
Ingredients:
Dressing:
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
¼ cup Mayo
1 cup Plain Yogurt
2 tsp Minced Garlic
¼ cup Chopped Chives
1 tsp S&P
Kebabs:
2 pounds Boneless Cx Breasts, Cut Into Chunks
3 large Peaches, Cut Into Wedges
10 ounces Arugula (You can use any type of salad mix and it tastes best when the lettuce is finely chopped)
¼ cup Thinly Sliced Red or White Onion
½ cup Parsley (I skipped this)
To make ours heartier, I also added peanuts and cubes of goat cheese. Any nuts and or/cheese would be a great addition.
Directions:
Make dressing by whisking all ingredients into a small bowl. Set aside.
Marinate chicken by putting meat and ½ cup of the dressing into a medium bowl. Let sit 30 minutes at room temp. Chill remaining dressing. Prep bamboo skewers in water and preheat grill.
Assemble kebabs: thread 1 peach wedge and 2 chicken chunks onto skewer and repeat until full.
Cook meat on the grill, covered, until browned and chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes, turning once.
For those of you not doing kebabs: While the chicken was marinating, I put the peach wedges onto my oiled grill pan and cooked for a few minutes on each side. After they cooled off a few minutes, I added them to my salad bowl. Then I grilled the chicken, cooled it, and added it to my salad.
Make salad by combining arugula, onion, (anything else you want with the salad), chicken, peach, and toss with dressing.
Photo courtesy of Sunset website

No comments:
Post a Comment